Friday, June 15, 2012

     Today is the first free day that we will have throughout this trip. A bunch of us decided that we wanted to go see the little shops that are by the Duomo. We left the hotel around 11:00 am and were off to the metro! We took the metro to the Duomo, which is only 4 stops away and we were immediately shocked when we saw that it was transformed into tents for a soccer event.
     We started walking towards the castle that we visited earlier this week. On our way we saw a man sitting down on the side of the road creating flowers and animals with fruits and vegetables. It was so cool to see how he was creating these unbelievable things with food.

     By the time we reached where the shops were I was already sweating. It was unbelievably hot today. We started to walk around and found the cutest cafe. Immediately we went inside and saw croissants, sandwiches, and fruit cups! We decided it would be a good idea to get lunch then while we were at a nice place. I got a ham sandwich with lettuce and tomato on a roll with a fruit cup and water. It was so good!
     After lunch we started walking around to all the different shops. I didn't find anything that I wanted, but some of the other girls bought different things. Just walking around was amazing, all of the buildings are so beautiful.

     After we were done shopping on the way back to the Duomo we stopped for some gelato. It was obviously delicious. I got a small cup of coffee (caffe) and vanilla with chocolate chips ( I don't know how to say that in italian!)

     While we continued walking we saw a group of people gathered around with cameras. (I needed to know what was going on). When we walked over we saw that people were in line and one by one they would open up a refrigerator and would be blasted with fake snow and grab a water bottle. We were all so thirsty and wanted to get hit by the cool snow so we got online.
     I was first to go and as I opened the door the snow was coming at me so fast it went everywhere. I then opened up my mouth (to say something to the girls) and the snow was immediately in my mouth (it wasn't tastey). I quickly grabbed a water bottle and stepped to the side. As soon as I stepped to the side I was approached by someone who was working and I needed to sign a release form. After everyone signed the forms, we were approached by someone else to asked us to casually pose talking and drinking water. We felt so awkward but we did it! They told us that the video and pictures would be up on the water website so I need to check it in a few days. Overall it was a great experience (hello international superstar!)
     So far the first free day has been a blast. I just noticed that from walking around all day my shoulders and back are burnt! I didn't realize how powerful the sun is! I'm glad that I brought sun lotion. (Thanks mom!) Later most of the girls and I are going out to the disco (weird thats what it is called). Fulvio invited us and I cannot wait to experience the nightlife here. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment